A question we often get asked when a customer is choosing a wood or multi-fuel stove to go with their new stone fireplace is “how much heat do I need?”. In other words, what KW output stove will be sufficient to warm the room. There are a few things to consider before making a decision –
- The size of the room.
- How well insulated the room is? You’ll need to think about the number of doors and windows, are these double glazed? How old is the house?
- Is the stove going to be your only heat source or will you still be using central heating?
- Is there a stairwell or doorway in the room that you would like heat to travel through?
- Do you have an electric or gas fire in the room currently, what KW output is it and is that sufficient?
1 KW of heat output will approximately heat:
- 25m³ (882 cubic feet) well insulated room
- 15m³ (530 cubic feet) average insulated room
- 10m³ (353 cubic feet) poorly insulated room
It’s not always a straight forward decision to make but your Firecraft stockist should be able to advise you further and even come out to your home to do a survey.